Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 53: All this punching and kicking we do.

Hey all,

When I did my punches and kicks in the KFB, I enjoy it, and sometimes I really enjoy it. However, I also realise something about myself as i do them. I'd never want to use them on anyone. Oh sure, I know we all think about decking someone in our lives, some of us everyday, but it's not as much fun when they're on the ground bleeding,broken, or worse. We go from feeling powerful, to feeling terrible. The truth is fights are nothing like movies and video games. People get hurt. I wonder if that dude that girl punched out in the video we got from Patrick had to go to the hospital afterwards.

Now, hold on, I'm not trying to rain on the KFB, quite the opposite. I think it has really brought something to the forefront of my mind I haven't thought about in a while--the truth about fighting.

I think one of the reasons I like to play fighting games so much is it's all the fun of fighting with almost none of the consequences.





You get to do cool moves like my favorite one above and pit your skills against someone else. Sure, my opponent or I may feel bad from time to time when we lose, but we both walk away. We both had fun. We both learned something to make us better next time, and, most importantly, we both are okay. No one's bleeding. No one's hurt. No one is permenantly damaged.





Every time I sit down to play Super Street Fighter IV, I get to feel what it's like to kick ass and to have my ass kicked. And, thanks to mirror neurons, my brain can't tell the difference between a real and a video game fight, so that makes the experience even more real. I thrill in it. I soak it in and love it. But at the same time I am so happy that when it's all over, I don't have to wonder if I hit a person too hard and ended up killing them, and they don't have to think the same thing about me when I lose. My opponent is my friend for giving me a challenge, never ever my enemy.

Just food for thought. Maybe fighting games should be added to the list of exercises on the KFB? Hadoken!




More tomorrow,
Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment